Monday, May 25, 2015

Delaney Buttes 2015 an Accel-ent Adventure (with video)

            Hello, and thank you for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I want to start by wishing all of our readers an incredible Memorial Day. As our long time followers know, I take very few things in life seriously, but my freedom is the exception and Memorial Day reminds me of that freedom. It also represents some of life’s smaller things. Memorial Day is the unofficial beginning of summer, it has become the official end of the Rockies post season hopes, and for the O’Grady’s it’s the annual weekend trip to The Delaney Buttes. In order to give you the full run down of the trip, I must tell the tale in two parts. The first part will be about the trip itself and the second will be about the equipment we used to make the trip successful. A little bird told me that some of you have been skipping over my pearls of wisdom and jumping straight to the videos, well, I want to warn you that I have installed a tracker in the text that lets me know if your eyes wander. Beyond missing out on my pearls, I don’t even want to tell you what might happen if don’t read the whole blog.
            To be honest, this year’s trip almost didn’t happen. Cat and I consider ourselves to be somewhat rough and tough, though truth be told Cat is way tougher, and while fishing the Arkansas River in November and December we beg for snowy, nasty overcast days. When Memorial Day rolls along however, we are ready for a little sun and heat. This year our Holiday forecast was littered with rain, snow, wind, and pure ugliness. Eventually I broke down and called my brother in-law Jimbo, who joins us every at the reservoir, and told him that we just might have to cancel this year. Then a few days later, I received a text from my sister which contained a forecast for Delaney that looked more like Miami than North Park. At the bottom she included a note which said that Jimbo had been moping around the house and that we needed to go. I really do believe that she did put a forecast from some tropical place and just put Waldens name on it.
 Anyways, we made it to the lakes Wednesday afternoon and could not believe how nice the weather was. We quickly set up camp and rowed out as fast as we could to our favorite spot. In the first ten minutes, I had two takes but missed them both and then the winds rolled in. By 7:30pm the wind turned cold and sent us seeking shelter in the tent. Thursday morning we got up and again could not believe how nice it was, we got to our favorite spot and after my first cast I heard the dreaded beep that told me my GoPro battery was dead. My first few takes were a lesson in humility. One fish completely cleaned my clock and the next fish exposed a knot problem. And yes, I know that knot issues should never happen to a guide, but in my defense I use a different knot for fishing lakes. Anyways… after completely re-rigging and perfecting my knots the dinner bell must have rung. Cat and I spent about an hour and a half pulling in one nice fish after another. One of the rainbows I caught was the heftiest fish I have ever landed. After laying the fish over the net, his tail stretched just over the 24 mark but the height on the fish had to have been 10 or so inches. Cat seemed to have a thing for the browns that day. Thursday afternoon was pretty slow with only a few takes and even fewer landed. Shortly after dinner the weather and rain chased us back into our tents and it rained all night long. Friday morning we got up and the rain had not stopped, we had to go the outhouse to get wadered up, otherwise we would have been just as wet inside are waders as out. That morning we fished for four hours and it seemed that all the fish were feeding in fifteen minute spurts, the rest of the time we just tried to keep our teeth from chattering out. When our fingers got to the point that they nearly stopped working, we rowed back for a break. While warming up in the car we checked every weather site we could find and they all said the same thing, it was only going to get worse. And once again, bring me this weather in Nov, Dec, and Jan but give me a little heat on Memorial Day. So with that we headed home.
            Now on to the gear, this year my lake rod was a 9’6” 6wt, Sage Accel and I could not have been happier. As our long time readers know, the most important aspect of a rod for me is feel and sensitivity but with enough power to let the fish know who is their daddy. In reality a proficient caster can cast any rod regardless of the quality, so for me it’s not about “how it casts” but all about feel and the Accel fits the bill while also giving a smooth cast. The reel I had on the Accel was the Sage 4260 loaded with Rio Gold line. One of the differences between the Delaney fish and my Ark fish is that the Delaney fish don’t seem to make many runs, but instead they like to dive to the bottom. We don’t see the quick headshakes of the river fish, so we don’t have to worry as much about tippet size and throw 4x. This year the fish seemed to be feeding twenty feet down, and so the takes required some serious hooksets. The rod totally had the power to hook fish even at twenty feet but while fighting the fish, the flex of the rod kept the energy in the rod and kept it out of my forearm. The fight was almost always the same, you could feel the fish moving from the bottom and as soon as it felt like you were getting an advantage, the fish would make another incredibly powerful downward run. The reel matched every run and never failed once. If you are a lake guy, and looking for the perfect setup, I think I found the magic ticket.
            Well, if your reading this you did you duty and won’t be receiving the punishment the non-readers will be receiving….LOL! The video posted below documents our trip. Due to the weather, Cat wasn’t able to add many insect clips so instead she filmed the rodents which live in the holes around camp.
Now for the part of the video that isn’t there. Many years ago on the last 60 mile stretch before the Delaneys, we were looking below us and saw a giant Bull Moose, but were not able to stop and get pics. So for the last four years every time we drive through that stretch we have the good camera out and scourer everywhere trying to see another. Now on the way home this year, I just happened to look over in time to see a big ole cow moose and I hit the brakes as quickly as I could, a semi was coming the other way and so as soon as he cleared I flipped a U’ey and quickly sped back to the spot. She had completely vanished into the very sparse field. We scratched our heads and wondered if possibly it was a game warden or landowner with a wooden moose cutout and every time someone slammed on their brakes to flip around they had a way to pull the board down, I know I would enjoy doing that….hehe.

 Enjoy, and as always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Bullwinkle, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….


Delaney Buttes 2015 O'Grady Flyfishing Adventures from ogradyflyfishing on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment