Sunday, January 3, 2016

Weather Tease....

          Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. Well the weather may have been saying March, but the river was saying mid-January. I was in the shop yesterday afternoon helping Cat out and every angler who came back in after fishing exclaimed how crowded the river was. We even had one fisherman who counted 31 anglers between Valco bridge and the Tree bend. I guess it was a good day to be in the shop. I had a full day teaching trip scheduled for today, but after hearing about the crowds it was moved to later next week. Without the trip, I decided to head out and really just wanted to explore and mingle. I knew one set of friends who were out wetting lines and I planned to just go heckle them, but they were catching too many fish to even sound clever with my jabs.
After departing my friends, I moved up river and stepped into a run where several fish were rising. After catching a few, I decided that I would coin a new term for these fish. Now I know that nothing can be further from the truth when they call those miniature candy bars “fun size”, there is absolutely nothing fun about an inch and a half candy bar. A fun sized candy bar would be 11 inches. As it happens the fish I was playing with today were in the 11 to 13inch range (the fun sized range). They were fish who have been in the river long enough to have a belly and a little bit of color. After having fun with those guys for a little while, I hunted for another run which hopefully contain a King Size. Picking out a fishy spot, I casted in and caught my fish of the day. He was just a tad over 19 and had the shoulders of a linebacker. I hooked one more there, but he popped off and I spent the rest of the day just moving around and scouting.
          Fish seem to be really moving into deeper pools and coming out to eat for just shot periods of time. Fish today were all taken on Cats SOL. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Snickers and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….
*** Shop Note: Due to the holiday we have rescheduled Open Tying Night Friday, January 8th, at our normal time 6:00pm. Hope to see you there! Also a pair of gloves were found at the river this weekend and our waiting at the shop for their owner.




                                        Scott in the house..


No comments:

Post a Comment