Thursday, March 24, 2016

Better Than Ever !!!!!

                Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. With the shoulder surgery and then this nasty crud keeping me off the water, I found myself going crazy over the last few weeks in anticipation of getting back on the water. I knew my schedule for today looked open and Cat and I planned a trip to the river. I fell asleep at my normal time last night but woke in the middle of the night and had a heck of a time getting back to sleep. I was so ready to go that I felt a little like Lloyd Christmas from Dumb and Dumber fumbling with the proper words to say. “ I desperately want to make love to a school boy”. I eventually got back to sleep and when morning hit I flew through my morning work routines. Cat and I got to the river at just before noon and like the all the years between Bronco Super Bowl wins, it was totally worth it. I walked in the first run and saw a few fish just circling and I could see they were not eating. I walked down to the first feeding lane and after noticing a “true” BWO hatch I licked my lips. Half way through my first drift, my indicator rocketed up river. A brief battle and I netted an absolutely gorgeous 21 incher. I stepped back in and next drift produced a 20 incher. It took a couple of runs for Cat to catch fire but when she did, it was on. Winston had no idea where to stand because most of the day it seemed every other cast produced a fish. By one o’clock he just laid between us because he was worn out from running to see every fish. The BWO’s were on the water from the time we stepped in til we left at around three and the fish knew it as well.
                The excitement of the day came when I heard the “ciggle” ring out as loud as I have heard in years and as I turned I watched an absolute hog rocket himself about three feet straight in the air. When the fish hit the water I saw everything go limp and Cat dropped her shoulders of shame. She backed out and while voice trembling, she said she thought it was the biggest fish she had ever hooked here in town. My excitement came when a real non assuming fish changed his direction and completely smoked me. Half an hour later as I was landing a pretty nice fish I realized it was the same fish from earlier. He had two of the exact same fly in his mouth and I got my entire setup back. Did I mention the fish were eating today?

                I wanted to finish today’s blog by talking a little about the condition of our river. I know last fall there was a little fear about how our fish made it through last summer’s record runoff. Our early winter took forever to get going and even then we never really got a great feel for the fish. January seemed to last forever but today seeing the quality of the fish and the pure numbers of fish spread out. OUR River is in AMAZING condition!!!! Now does that mean that every day will be like today, probably not, but the fish are there. Fish today took everything we through at them. Eggs, FOD’s, Ninjas, and even glass bead R**’* and you know I don’t use the full name of that fly. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Lloyd and Harry, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..











No comments:

Post a Comment