Saturday, April 2, 2016

Revealing The Natural

            Hello everyone! Thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventure. This is Cat writing today, so I am afraid if you were hoping for a great sports analogy or thinly veiled story about a firecracker, you will have to wait for Connell’s return. Meanwhile, sit back and let me share the tale of the rare sighting I have made.....
            They lurk among us, hiding on golf greens, playing video games, and sometimes playing basketball at the slabs. These creatures exist without warning and with no outward sign of what they are capable of.   Beware! They might even be in your own home. What are these bizarre beings of whom I mention? They are THE NATURALS, and this week I had the pleasure of guiding one.
            As a guide I see all manner of skill level in my clients. From the never-ever to the well salted semi-pro, the goal for trips is ultimately the same; to spread knowledge and have a good time doing so. With this in mind I happily accepted the chance to spend a few trips with a great set of gentlemen, a father and son pair.
            The father is a seasoned fishy guy. He has fished in many places and has followed the journey of a fly fishing spirit in many directions. As we spoke a few weeks back, he made it very clear that he wanted his son to have a fun introduction to fly fishing. You see, his son had never fly fished. Which for a barely sixteen-year old from a big “fishless” city, this is no surprise. Needless to say I was so excited to help and prepared myself for a few days of teaching.
            For day number one, we decided to do a half-day on the Tailwater. Once on the water I suggested a spot for the dad and set to work on the son. After a quick explanation of casting, line management, hooking and landing fish, we were off. Half an hour later I had my mind BLOWN.
            I was standing in a run with JD, the son, when in his quiet voice, he asked, “Can I fish to those fish over there?” Peering over to the direction of his pointing I was shocked to see two shadows shifting under the surface. I smiled and said yes, and watch him make beautiful casts to fish hidden from the view of typical fisherman. This young man could see fish in a way most advanced fisherman have yet to achieve. JD with his superhuman fish spotting eyes, his keen ear for direction, and his desire for perfect execution, is a NATURAL. The first fish JD landed was a nineteen inch beauty. His father, David, and I teased him that having this fish as his first ever on a fly rod was going to ruin him. JD didn’t understand what we meant until his next few fish were closer to twelve inches. We enjoyed the rest of the day. Picking up some fish and enjoying the Ark.
            For the second day of our adventures we headed to private water. There both father and son landed beautiful fish and enjoyed each other’s company. From time to time when I wasn’t landing fish or taking pictures, I watched father and son fish side by side. The sight warmed my heart and made me realize something. Yes, Natural fly fishermen are rare, but even rarer is a father going to great lengths and taking such great care to persuade a sports playing, tennis shoe collecting teen, to not only try fly fishing..... but to potentially fall in love with it.

As always Cat, Connell, Winston, NIKE, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading!

           







1 comment:

  1. Beautiful father, son, fish, river, connection. You could almost say "God" was involved!

    ReplyDelete