Sunday, March 12, 2017

Arghh Matey....

   Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I think the best way to share todays fishing shenanigans would be to take a step back in time to our early years of fishing. Prior to our river becoming so awesome, Cat and I used to spend a lot of time fishing the mid to high mountain lakes with various success. I remember one such time when Cat and I had been fishing San Isabel and it was a very difficult day. I had landed a few and Cat after a few hours landed her first fish of the day and after removing the hook and taking a second look, Cat says “unbelievable, I finally catch a fish and he only has one eye.” Now being the all-loving and comforting husband that I am, I asked her which side of the mouth the hook was in, was he hooked on the side with or without the eye. hehe

            Cat was stuck in the shop today and I really wasn’t sure what I was going to do and then I got a call from half of our Taylor crew. Charlie and Brandon were on their way to the river, so Winston and I headed out to meet up. I jumped into a run right away and hooked and lost a fish on the second drift. Next cast went bingo and the indicator shot up river. After seeing the bright red stripe of the fish, I gave him an extra few extra runs and he sure was worth it. He was just a hair under 20 and if he were an e-bay listing, his color and shoulders would be listed as *mint*. I then slowly worked my way up to the boys catching a few smaller fish on the way. I got above Charlie and hooked but lost a stud and then landed a 15 incher. I looked down and saw Charlie was fighting a fish and after netting it I could see him and Brandon talking. Their expression was a little odd and I couldn’t figure out what was up and then I went on fishing. Brandon came up by me and jumped into the run I was working and he landed a beauty right out in front of me. We snapped a few pics and I asked him how big Charlies fish was and he started to laugh, he then went on to say it only had one eye. I couldn’t help myself so while walking past Charlie and in my best pirate voice I said “Arghh matey, have you seen my eye patch? I was looking for my rum and your hook hit me in the mouth.”

Well we started working our way down river and I jumped into a deeper run that I had busted on earlier. I could see a couple of bows working but my flies went right past them. I was getting ready to recast and my indicator shot down. The fight was really strange where it felt like dead heavy weight and I didn’t even have a guess as to what it was. When I eventually netted him, I was really surprised, he was 21inch walleye. I headed down to the run I started in and hooked another absolutely gorgeous 20 incher, and after checking the pics, it was the same fish from the morning. Well on the way out, One-eyed-Charlie got the last laugh; we hit one last run and we could see several fish working. He took several casts and then hooked and landed a beautiful 18 incher. I hooked another cherry bomb right after that but his second run into the rocks snapped my line. I expected a little jab from Charlie, but in his calm confident way he just said better luck next time. What a day!

            As far as we know right now, there will be a water call tomorrow morning and the river will increase by 180-190 cfs. The 15th is Wednesday and were not exactly sure what is going to happen, but I certainly don’t see the river blowing up. The spawn should last for another week or so, so if you are out please be careful and allow the fish to make more. There are lots of fishing eating and the BWO’s are a few short weeks away. Fish today were on eggs, FOD’s and the walleye took a j-bomb. I forgot my camera today so pics were all taken from my Iphone, sorry about the framing. Sight fishing right now is off the hook so now is the perfect time to book a trip, come and learn the awesomest way to attack this river. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Brandon, Charmander and the Drift Fly shop want to thank you for reading….







                                         Four hours later.





           

No comments:

Post a Comment