Thursday, September 7, 2017

Trout Lives Matter !!!!!

            Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. If you have been following my Facebook feed then you know that fishing on the Ark has really improved over the last few days. This morning I got to the water at around ten and just a few drifts in, my indicator shot up river. The fish made a couple of pretty strong runs and then I worked him just below me. He was a solid 18 or 19 inches and as I was lifting his head, my set up shot back at me. I knew there was no way that it was my fault(hehe) so I checked my rig and there was the problem, my hook was bent out.
               I can’t tell you how many times over the years I have had customers, in the shop ask me if the more expensive hooks are worth the extra cost. My normal answer is that size 18 and smaller, the Tiemco hooks are must but 16 and larger, you can go cheaper. After bending two separate size 16 hooks on fish today, I may have changed my mind. The flies I was using today were tied probably ten year ago and I won’t say what brand they were, but they weren’t Tiemco.
               I went on fishing today and landed several chunky, 12 to 14 inchers and at around noon, the river shut off. I fished for another 45 minutes or so and as you can guess, my mind began to wander. I began thinking about the cheap hooks and I realized that they could be advertised as the “Trout Lives Matter” hooks. Yep, all you have to do is fish a crappy hook and you may never have to worry about over working a big bow again. The big fish should be safe forever.

               Most of my smaller fish today were caught on the Whiskey nymph and the two biggest fish took the TLM Caddis. The flows were bumped just a little today but clarity was not bad. At one point, I was standing in mid-thigh water and I could make out structure on the bottom. I have openings for guide trips this weekend. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, TLM, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..



No comments:

Post a Comment