Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Spinney Stories 2020


           Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. Before I get into our trip to Spinney today, I wanted to talk a little about our drive home. As you all know, Cat is not a morning person and I am only a little better in that regards. So, after getting up before 6:00, driving two hours, and fishing all day long, we were pretty spent for the drive home. It was as if Collin Robinson had been talking to us all day long(if you don’t get it, watch What We Do In The Shadows”. We were in serious Zombie mode when Phil Collins “In the Air” came on the radio. We both bobbed our heads and I had to throw in my dirty lyrics and when the big drum number came up, we both broke into our air drum frenzy. We started laughing and at the same time, stated that that must be the biggest air drum lick in Rock and Roll history. There are a million great air guitar songs but that one has to be the best. Let us know what you think.
            Now on to South Park. I had only been able to fish Spinney once this year because Cat and I have been so busy, and that trip was rough, I had only caught one fish. Reports have been really varied and we really kept our expectations low. We explored a new section today because in my mind, I thought I had it all figured out. We rowed out to the depth we were looking for and I had a fish show up on my screen. I set my indicator, tossed it out and just as the indicator turned up, it shot down. I gave a big set but the fish was long gone. I got it back in and in just a minute or so I landed my first fish of the day. At that time, I smiled and thought I had it all figured out. Cat was sporting her brand-new Fishpond El Jefe net and had a bit of an unusual start. She worked the fish in close and as she was netting it, one of her flies got caught in the net so then when she would try to scoop the fish, the fish was able to drop below her. Eventually it broke the line and she wondered if the net was going to be a little too big for her. Needless to say, after lots of successful fish landed, she really likes her new net. As for me, the lake fished well in quick bursts today. I would hook three or four and then it would die for twenty minutes or so. I finished the day with 23 trout, 1 brown and the rest bows or cutbows and one baby pike, and NO, I don’t touch pike. Cat didn’t keep count but didn’t think she had caught as many.
            Now on to conditions here. The river dropped a little here today and I’m guessing fished pretty well. Please just be very careful when wading at these flows. Last week we announced our Guiding permit for Lake Isabel and just wanted to remind people of that. You’re not going to catch any Spinney sized fish but it is a great introduction to lake fishing.
            Lastly, Cat and I will be making our way to Florida next week for another attempt at Tarpon. So far, in our game, the tarpon have won in a rout but we are feeling it this time. We will be back at the end of next week and will be available for Lake Isabel trips. Wish us luck, we need it!!! Maybe for the plane rides, I will be trying to figure out what sons have the best air piano spots, I’m thinking maybe LA Woman….Sorry about the pics, we don’t take our phones out in our boats. As always. Connell, Cat, Winston, Phil Collins and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…….




















No comments:

Post a Comment