Monday, September 22, 2014

Googans On My Numbers...


Hey all, hope you get title. The O’Gradys began watching Wicked Tuna a few weeks back and we found it so intriguing that I actually dreamt of tuna fishing a few nights. We have even talked about how cool it would be to head east and try for a few of those monsters. You know we tend to whine quite a bit when the river gets crowded, but the more episodes we watch, the more we realize how much more pleasant the flyfishermen of Colorado really are. My last blog I laughed about Winston stepping in and breaking off a fish of mine but we were watching an episode the other night and while the Odyssey was fighting a monster, another boat drove over the line and broke everything. Could you imagine losing a four to fifteen thousand dollar fish because someone drove over your line? Or how about those moments when you have to say excuse me, I was fishing that run and they look at you and tell you to bleep off. I guess our waters aren’t so crowded after all, and if Googans are on my numbers, I’ll just move and catch other fish.

Cat and I got back out on the river again this evening and had a blast. Cat has been working on a new pattern for some time now trying to match a bug that her entomology classes have been collecting the last few years, and I think she has got it dialed in. Her class yesterday found several of the same insect and after studying it she saw something that was just a little different. She finished her masterpiece and told me that today was going to be her day. We stepped into the first run and with her confidence bubbling out of her ears, I told her that I would stand back and video. First drift was a few feet from finished and the indicator shot up river, a quick battle and she netted a beautiful eighteen incher.                   As she held it up for me to take the pic, the grin on her face was as wide as Brad Pitts in A River Runs Through It. With her mile wide grin she said it took her new fly. Now I’m not going to say much more about her fly, maybe she can be bribed at the shop or maybe even better yet, take her next class. Anyway, we moved upriver and I kept looking up and saw Cat fighting yet another fish. Now I know how people get frustrated watching me (jkjkjkj). I managed to coax a few to the net as well, but the night belonged to the woman of my dreams. She was the Rainbow.com tonight.  

Fishing is still the same with moments of glory and moments of head scratching. Cat hooked all her fish on her new fly and I hooked most of my fish on her fly and one on a green FOD hybrid. The fish seem to slow way down about twenty minutes before dark. I don’t know if it is just my imagination because of my evening enjoyment but it seems to me like over the last week we have lost about twenty five minutes of light. Anyway, get out and enjoy, just stay off my numbers. hehe.

As Always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Dave & Paulie, And The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….

 
 
 
 
 
 
      Cat's Radian was feeling left out so these pics are for the Radian
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys. I was bored last night and i wanted to watch fly fishing videos (how "OGrady" of me). I typed in Taylor river flyfishing and you guys topped the list multiple times. I just wanted to say how proud i am of the blog you guys do and the videos. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete