Monday, December 7, 2015

Didn't See That One Coming...


            Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures blog. Just when a person thinks they have seen everything this beautiful river has to offer, it steps up an Amazes me again. So I had a client fishing to rising fish today and our local Blue Heron began to watch us fish. My client, Doug, hooked a fish and as he was fighting it, the bird flew over his head and landed behind him. I was thinking that the bird was hoping that we would throw him the fish but the Heron took matters into his own talons. As the fish was being brought in the Heron flew in and dive bombed the fish.  The fish was ambushed only around 6 or 7 feet from Doug and after breaking the line the bird almost seemed to smile as he floated off and ate his prize. I couldn’t believe what I had just seen, and then I got annoyed, the Heron didn’t even have a license and he didn’t practice “catch and release”.
            So if you have been on the river over the last week or so than you will probably have seen the crowds are beginning to show up. Guide trips and personal fishing have been a mixed bag. At times, fish are feeding like crazy and other times I have found myself pulling my hair out (and yes I know it looks like I have had more of the ladder). If you can, bring a second rod with a double dry set-up. Fish have been taking FOD’s, J-Bombs and Black midges and for dries, size 18 and 20 of your favorite BWO. If you haven’t been on the river than get out, don’t let the crowds scare you away, there is always a place to catch a fish or feed a bird. Pics are from the last few guide trips. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, the Great Blue Heron thief and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…….




2 comments:

  1. Did you see the enormous Bald Eagle today hanging around the Anticline Pond area? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I did not see him today but yes they are incredible birds!

    ReplyDelete