Tuesday, October 18, 2016

What a Difference....

               Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures Blog. What a difference four days can make. Last Friday I had a high school classmate and her husband make their way from Omaha all the way to P-town to learn how to fly fish. I was so excited to help these two see what Fly Fishing has to offer, and fishing had certainly been getting better. I have been living in P-town long enough to not be surprised by any weather at any time of the year but even I had to scratch my head when I saw the 90’s rolling in. Wednesday, Cat and I fished in 50 degree weather and the fish loved it. Friday morning arrived and we were back at 90 degrees. We made it to the water at around 9:30 and Lori hooked several fish right away, but by 10:15 it seemed that the fish had gone in to total shut down mode. The next five and a half hours saw just a couple takes. In the shop over the weekend the fishing stories were far and few. We saw that the weather was supposed to cool today so Cat and I headed to the river and what a difference 4 days and 20 degrees made.
                We got to the water at just after 9:00 and decided to try some different spots. For about four hours Cat and I had to listen to each other go “Yeah, oh this is a good one” followed by “What the”. I know at one point I was sitting at 0 and 8 for the big fish but I was slaying the super dinks. Finally I was able to work my first quality fish to the net, there may or may not have been a small tear drop in the corner of my eye. The landing got much better for the both of us and we both got several to the net. The river did not disappoint today and the trees are just beginning to turn the valley Gold. The next ten days or so should be the prettiest of the year.  You can see a little of the colors in the background of Winston’s pic, I think he was getting a little tired. The close up of the Osprey was a plus. Sorry our river was a little difficult on you Lori and Mike but remember you are always welcome.

                Our fish seemed to be super hot right now and really gave us everything we could ask for. I think our biggest problem was that we had gone so small on our flies. Most of my big fish were on a size 24 black midge and the dinks were gorging on an egg. I have been feeling more and more confident every trip to the water so I am now beginning to take on guide trips. Sight fishing will be spotty between now and our first super cold spell but (if no 90 degree weather), fishing ought to be steady. Call the shop if you are ready to book, November is filling up. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Lori & Mike and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….






2 comments:

  1. Timing is everything. We had an amazing time. You and Cat got us hooked on fly fishing, pardon the pun.

    We learned so much in one day, enough to realize there is so much more to the art of fly fushing. Being out on the river for those two days was beautiful, getting lost in the mountains was also beautiful.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing is everything. We had an amazing time. You and Cat got us hooked on fly fishing, pardon the pun.

    We learned so much in one day, enough to realize there is so much more to the art of fly fushing. Being out on the river for those two days was beautiful, getting lost in the mountains was also beautiful.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete