Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A January Day....



            Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I got to work the shop Saturday afternoon and it was really interesting to hear the fishing reports from the day. One person would come in and they couldn’t believe how awesome the fishing was and the next person wanted to know where all the fish had gone. I tried my best to ease the hurt feelings and smiled with all the gloating. I wanted to use this post to give my own little report of our river. First of all, I want to start by saying this has been one of the most enjoyable January’s I can ever remember. Our water temps have been stable at just below 40 degrees and weather for the most part has been perfect. Fish eating times have been a little hard to predict, but they have definitely been eating.
            Today I made my way to the river and met up with Richie. I started in a run that fished really well last week and on the second cast I hooked and lost a good fish. I figured I was way smarter than the fish but they proved me wrong, the next twenty minutes I managed to wrangle in one ten incher. I made my way down to meet up with Rich and he told me he had only caught dinks but was thrilled after the poor day he had yesterday. I jumped in next to him and after a few casts, I landed a beautiful 19 incher. I felt a little bad about catching a fish out of his run but I got over it(hehe). We made our way down into another run and after a few casts I heard Rich say “Yes!” and I watched a horse do a quick tail walk. The fish popped off and a few casts more he was laughing again. That fish went foul but after a few more casts he landed one of the prettiest twenty inchers I had seen in a while. I got across the river to take the pic and when I got home and looked at the picture, it was pretty clear that Winston wasn’t very happy about the fish being caught on the opposite side of the river. I managed to land one more nice fish and it made Pooh-dogs day. We made our way back up river and I didn’t bump another fish. Once again, the river fished well in quick windows and the fish just disappeared at other times. Fish today were taken on the New Moon, FOD, and even a grey RS’2 but as you can see by the variety, it was right time/ right place and not necessarily the fly.
            I’m guessing that the next three weeks ought to fish very similar to today so if you get a chance to get out find a friend and make it a day. Don’t take the catching so serious and enjoy being in the river, there are a lot of worse things you could be doing. On a personal note, I will be away from my keyboard for a few weeks and hopefully when I open it back up, I have some great stories for you all. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Richie and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….








               Check out Winston pouting...



No comments:

Post a Comment