Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Happy NU Year !!!!!


              Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I want to start this blog by wishing all of you a wonderful New Year. While standing in the river today my mind shifted to armchair quarter back mode and with my Huskers and Broncos seasons over, I began to ponder what went wrong. I know they say that defense wins championships but, even if that is true, I love offense. I watched several Husker and Bronco games this year and I wondered if they both had the same offensive coordinator. First down was running back up the middle for a loss of one, second down was an off tackle run for a yard, and third down was a long pass down the field. Yes, every once in a while, they would hit the bomb for a big play, but it sure was a boring season to watch. Then it hit me, I wasn’t thinking about football, I was thinking about fishing in January. And what do I mean by that, well, let me illustrate...
               The river was fairly empty today and so I immediately jumped into one of my favorite feeding lanes. Several drifts without a yard gained and then I casted into a new spot. While the flies were drifting into the spot where I thought there would be a fish, the indicator shot up the river and I worked a beautiful eighteen incher to the net. Several more casts with nothing and then another connected bomb with a seventeen incher to the net. Now Brandon Reilley caught three TD’s in the Music city bowl, so I only had one more bomb to equal the Huskers output.
               I began working my way down river and it seemed I had way too many tackles for a loss and a few one yard gains (twelve inchers), and then I got my play of the day. I changed up my rig with smaller flies and switched to 6x tippet and after a few drifts through a long deep slow run and it was on. The bomb connected and I got my third TD of the day, he was the fattest of the day and was just a hair over seventeen inches. I moved on after that and found some dinks to bully around. Such, scoring 60 on South Dakota State is expected and doesn’t show your brilliance but every take and big run can still be a little fun.
            Now that only the really good football teams are still playing, this might be a great time to hit the Ark. Don’t expect a Bradyesque day, unless of course you deflate your bobbers, but just be glad you not frustrated watching another poor Husker or Bronco performance.
As many of you know the Fly Fishing Show will be going on this weekend in Denver. Since this is our busiest time of the year here in P-town, the Drift will not be part of the show, however we will be running a show special now through Sunday. All Tail Water guide trips purchased this week will be discounted by 10%, date does not need to be locked in but trip does need to be paid for. Spring is just around the corner and we have one of the best Spring fisheries in the world. Frazier and Frost of the nineties Huskers have nothing on the Ark in spring. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Kubiak and Reily, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……..





No comments:

Post a Comment