Thursday, April 12, 2018

My Dilemma....


           Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. This blog is about my day and the dilemma that now confronts me. When our guide George showed to pick us up this morning he asked us what we were looking for, our answer was that we so over the bones and we wanted to spend the day looking for permit, even if we never hooked a fish.                                                                                  The boat ride took a while and as we slowed, George told us that the island we were fishing was owned by Leonardo Dicaprio, I was not impressed but looked for him anyway. I jumped to the front and after a short few minutes, George yelled that we had a small school at 12 o’clock, 80 feet out coming straight at us. I took a breath and began to false cast. George yelled, a little to the right and let it down. I had already started my next cast and as I was bringing my cast forward, I saw the school. My fly landed perfectly about five feet in front of the fish and I began to strip. The leading fish flashed and I felt nothing. I tried to take a breath but my nads had blocked my airway. Another long slow strip and “Kerchunk”, a long strip set and the battle was on. OMG, I just hooked a freekin permit and I have him on the reel. Now my dilemma went through my mind.
            A year or so ago, my wife, mother, siblings’, nephews and nieces were hanging around talking when the topic of tattoos came up. They were all showing there’s off when I was asked when I was planning on getting one. If you are a long-time reader then you know that I am a little conservative as well as a little wimpy so my answer was the normal, NEVER. Unfortunately, I laughed and said, maybe after I catch a permit. You see, I figured there was a better chance of me getting hit by lightning then ever catching a permit, but now I was thoroughly in a twofold panic mode. I really wanted to get him landed but I’m not so sure about the tattoo thing. The battle was fierce and back and forth when I noticed an upcoming fishtrap. George tried to ease my nerves by saying take your time but you really need to get him in, in a hurry, there are big barracudas near the trap. I though for just a second, that that might be my way out but then I remembered Cody saying that the deal had changed and I was set even if I broke him off. I got him in and when I got him in my hands, I didn’t care a lick, I caught a permit. He wasn’t a monster but he was a permit.
            So here is what I want to do, we have many readers out there and I want to put it in your hands. Do I get the permit tattoo, and if so, where does it go and how should it look? Should it be cartoonish or very realistic, with color or black and white? This is your time to be involved my friends, give me your ideas, but please keep it clean. We have one more day to fish and hopefully Cat sticks a pig, she is a little warn out from all the bones, maybe we can both get some ink.
            It appears that the river is in prime condition so get your spots filled for next week. We will be home soon so as always, Connell, Cat, Winston, George the Guide, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….





No comments:

Post a Comment