Thursday, February 21, 2019

One Fish, Two Fish....


            One fish, two fish, right fish, wrong fish. Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady fly fishing Adventures. I have written before about how my views of lost fish have changed over the years. Yep, in the old days, every lost fish was well over twenty inches and many brought screams that could make a sailor blush. Not that I no longer care, but I can’t remember the last time I threw a fit over a lost fish. These days, I can see some pretty strange things and I just find myself laughing instead of getting mad. Yesterday, I fished by myself and had one of those happenings.
            The last few weeks I have been taking shots at a certain group of fish and have had been whipped more times than I like to admit. Yesterday, when I originally walked by this group, I picked out a fish, got set up in the exact perfect place to cast, and sent through a perfect drift. I watched the fish and I knew the flies were getting close. I saw the bow move and open his mouth and I grinned and lifted. I couldn’t believe it, nothing. I tried a few more drifts but they were that quickly on to me so I moved on. I headed up river and caught plenty more but couldn’t get those fish out of my head. A half an hour or so had passed and I made my way back into the run. I could see a few at the front of the run that were actively eating and then I caught something out of the corner of my eye. This fish was sitting alone(I thought) at the back of the run and then I watched him move a few inches and eat a bug. Yep, my target was in my sights. I tossed my flies directly in his drift and I watched intently. I knew my flies were getting close and the fished moved, but strangely. I could tell he hadn’t eaten my fly, and didn’t want to set, in fear of a foul hook or spooking him. Then I saw a flash and out of the corner of my eye, caught my indicator screaming across the water. I lifted and then realized there was a much smaller, or wrong fish, sitting right next to my target. He popped off and the whole group was now in lockdown mode. Yep, there was a time when I might have been pretty upset, these days, getting beat, even by a hidden dink, can bring a bit of a giggle.
            Today I wanted to fish a different section and Cat wanted to join me. Fishing and checking out the hooters made for an awesome day. We wanted to get into the section I fished on Super Fish Sunday and were surprised the sections were open. Cat jumped in and began putting a hurting on the dinks and I was struggling a little, drifting a deeper run. I landed a few but got a little bored and Cat jumped in. I moved up into the next run and I turned and saw Cat fighting a fish. I headed down and she got the better out of the run I had just left. We headed back up river, hitting a few runs on the way out and then we looked up and saw the owl just looking down at us. He was nice enough to let us snap a few pics and then flew off. It sure is awesome to just look around and enjoy what there is to see.
            On my Facebook posts I have been letting everyone know, that if you are planning on booking a sight fishing trip, this is the time now. The river is low and clear and you have to make a good drift. I have openings next week so get your trips booked. Most fish have been on the Chocolate Noon Midge, the Top Secret and Cat did pretty good on a peg egg today. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….










No comments:

Post a Comment