Tuesday, April 2, 2019

April On the Ark.....

            Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly fishing Adventures. For today's blog I wanted to touch on three separate subjects. One of which will be my guide tip so make sure you read the whole blog.
            The first subject I want to touch on is more of a request from our readers. I know it has been a little while since I have posted a blog and part of the reason is that this past March has been my best guiding month ever and it kept me really busy. The other reason is that last October my blog stats began going haywire and I have had a real difficult time tracking my visitors. So, if you are a fan of the blog, I will ask this, please follow  the blog. It will cost you nothing and I promise I won’t ever use or sell your info. The more followers I get and the more page views, the more I am encouraged to write. Just go to the right part of the page and you will see the follow button.
            Next, I wanted to touch on our upcoming trip to Belize. Cat and I are so excited for this trip but I have already began looking at next year. I had a ton of people tell me that they wanted to go with us but were unable this year. I am now looking for people interested next year. Salt flat fishing is the ultimate challenge in fly fishing, it will challenge you in every sense. As a long time guide it was a little humbling our first trip to the salt. We had to learn how to cast, we had to retrain our eyes and the hardest part for me was that I had to learn how to listen to our guides. The lodge we are in love with is the Blue Bonefish and not only has incredible guides but is also by far, the least expensive lodge in the area. We are looking at either the second or third week of April for next year, if you are at all interested in the time of your life, let me know and we can get you locked in. It takes planning and practice but it is so worth it, come spend a week in paradise with Cat and I.
            Lastly, I wanted to give my guide trip for April. On Sunday I had a trip out and the flows had been bumped that morning. Throughout the day, I had four different anglers come up to us and ask how we were doing. I felt a little bad because we had an excellent day and it sounded as if there were a lot of struggles on the water. While on the water, I can’t help but notice how other people attack the river. On Sunday I watched a lot of people camp up in spots that were fishing really well a month ago. Keep in mind, just because a spot fishes well when the river is running 38 cfs does not necessarily mean it fishes the same at 365. When you get to the river, don’t just head for the place that you caught fish last month but take your time and look for currents, shelves, and protected areas that look similar to the places you caught fish last month. And always, and I can’t stress it enough, look for fish, once you see them, you can learn so much.  
            Now that April is upon us, I wanted to say that the river is really fishing well, not easy but really good. I spent a few hours on the river this morning and hooked lots of fish, now I didn’t land them all but had a blast. I have plenty of openings over the next week, so if you want to try and figure this river out, call the shop and get me booked. Blue wings have been a little sparse so far but should really begin to start popping. April and into May we should see days that if you get the proper drift the fish get a little punch-drunk stupid. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..





No comments:

Post a Comment