Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Taylor 2019 !!!!


          Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly fishing Adventures. Well its that time of the year again, but this year Cat and Winston were not part of the Taylor trip. Its kind of strange, after the Belize and Keys vacations this year and knowing Cat was going to be stuck at home dogsitting, I was having a difficult time getting really pumped for this year’s trip. However, with the last few weeks of our river being dirty and borderline dangerous, I was actually really getting excited for the Taylor. This year’s trip included myself, Jimbo, my nephew Connor and the next Great fishing Golden Frosty.
            I got to the river just after noon on Sunday and as soon as I saw the clear water, I got goosebumps. Wow, it had only been a month since I had fished a river but it felt like a lifetime. I jumped into the first open spot and saw the fish were eating. I picked out a fish and got my flies in front of him and he said no. Gave him another look and he ate. It was a quick battle but two casts in, I had my first fish. The rain and clouds were in all day and the fish were eating all afternoon. It was one of the better days I had ever had on the Taylor and Jim was really spanking fish too. Monday we were battling the weather all day as well but once again, the fish were eating. Connor had been bait fishing with his friend above the lake the first day but wanted to try fly fishing. I spent a little time showing him the basics and then let him give it a try. He headed up and fished with his dad for a little while and when I made my way to them, Connor had the perma grin and had landed his first four fish on a fly rod. I asked him after dinner if he wanted to go down to where they were bait fishing and try the fly rod, he thought for a second and said after catching the fish in the trough, the dinks didn’t seem very exciting. I guess if he takes up tennis, maybe he should take lessons at, while entering Wimbledon.
            This morning I woke to Jim entering the trailer and telling me how cold it was outside. It was 8:30 and still only 31 degrees so I got Frosty to jump into bed with me to warm me up. I knew I was heading back to P-town this afternoon so I took a little extra time soaking up the scenery and temps and made my way to the river just after 10:00. The sun was bright and the bugs were non-existent. I caught a bow on my first cast and figured it would be another banner day but it was not to be. I hooked and landed one more fish and decided to head home. Another wonderful vacation to the Taylor.
            I started the blog talking about our river conditions here in P-town, and with the amount of snow left in the mountains and the high dirty water above Canon, I’m guessing it will be at least a few more weeks before our water gets Pueblo-esque. And yes, I know some of you are going to say that you have been catching fish. It can be done but high, muddy and dangerous water is not something I will ever encourage. The Taylor looked and fished fantastic, the high mountain lakes are opening up and the South Park lakes are fishing well. If you want to make your way up to any of those destinations, stop by the shop and we can help you get the flies you need to be successful. If you need a guide for any of those areas we can get you in touch with some of the best guides in those destinations. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Jimbo, Connor, Issac, Frosty and the Drift Fly shop want to thank you for reading…..


















No comments:

Post a Comment