Monday, October 14, 2013

A Near No-No..............


 I have written in the past about my propensity for being a fair-weather baseball fan. This season has really found it to be true since I don’t think I have checked out the standings since the Rocks were eliminated in mid July. After a really long work week I sat down Saturday night and wanted to watch a little college football and found that only baseball and nascar were on. I still have most of my teeth so I opted for baseball(hehe). As the first inning came to a close I realized it was the first game I had watched since the World Series last year. The Tigers scored fairly early and I watched inning after inning the Sox getting no hit. Every inning they seemed to have at least one batter walk and get into scoring position and then a strikeout would smash all hope. Finally in the bottom of the ninth and one out, the mighty sox got their one and only hit of the game followed by a couple outs and game over. I never thought the game would be so closely replayed the next day on the river.

  Cat and I were so excited to go fishing Sunday after the incredible evening we had on the water Friday. Kind of like the Sox after eliminating Tampa. We got to the water at about 12:30 and jumped right in. My second cast of the day I hooked and landed my best fish of the day, a 20 and a half inch rainbow. I hooked a few more in that hole, landing one and losing the other. As I was leapfrogging Cat I noticed that she had hooked a few but both had come unbuttoned. I had walked down and around the corner when Cat caught me and laughed that she was already O for four. As she moved into the next hole I watched her fight and lose another fish but this one had actually broken her off on a rock. She retied and lost another and then another break off when she hung her head and said O for seven. We continued to head down stream with me watching her lose fish after fish, it reminded me a little of “The Curse of the Winston” she had dealt with last winter, or the Red Sox batters. O for twelve, thirteen, fourteen, and I could see the frustration starting mount on her face( luckily no beard to hide the frustration). Winston had even stopped walking toward her when she would hookup, I guess he felt like it was more work than it was worth(hehe). Anyway the bugs began to diminish at around four and we started making our way back toward the car. I was fishing my second to last run of the day when I looked down and watched Cat fight and finally land a 14inch bow. I didn’t yell out loud but I was happy for her none the less. When we got to the car she was laughing and telling me that her one fish was almost lost as well as all the others. As she was fighting it she watched its head come out of the water and shake out the hook only to have the last fly lodge in its tail. I got to thinking how the Rockies radio guys would make the call, “ if you are keeping score at home that would be scored E-7 but at least we have another man on base”.

  I keep telling our readers about how non competitive I am, but I also had to remind Cat that like so many shutouts all I needed was the first inning scores to win. On the way home we talked about how much fun it was regardless of the amount of netted fish.  

  After dinner Sunday evening, we sat down and began watching our usual Sunday night shows when I happened to change the channel and see the Sox were playing again. It was the fifth inning and the Sox were being no-hit again and I told Cat that she was way better than the Sox because she would not get two no-hits in a row. I flipped back later just in time to watch Big-Papi tie the game with a Grand Salami and told Cat that that looked a little more like her. Next time out, I have no doubt I will be the jealous one and Winston may be following her all day…

  As always, Connell, Cat, Winston and The Drift Fly Shop would like to thank you for reading….



 

No comments:

Post a Comment