Friday, October 11, 2013

Oh What a Night!!!!!



  Well it wasn’t late December or back in 63 but “Oh what a Night.”  It has been a few weeks since we have been on our river and after getting a few good reports Cat and I were chomping at the bit to get out and give the river a once over. Winston was also a little frustrated since the last three of the four times we loaded the car with rods he got left at home. The three of us and Brandon got to the Nature Center at about 4:30 and jumped right in. I was testing out a new Airflow line so it took me a few extra minutes to get set up and before I even got my last fly tied on I looked down river and Cat was fighting and landing her nicest fish of the evening, about a 17incher. We don’t really compete but with that being said, I knew I needed to catch up(no pun intended) and I did quickly and boy it was good.  After having several fish hooked and landed I moved up river to the next hole.  Every fishy spot seemed to produce two fish and then it was time to move on. While looking up river and I saw a very nice fish feeding on the surface so I moved in and started casting where he had been. Several casts in and I hooked my fish of the night. I fought him for a while and finally landed this beautiful Male Brown. It was another one of those fish that when I got him in the net and saw his jaw I expected him to be a little bigger than he was, but at 21 inches, wow!!  What a 21 incher. Most of the fish this evening were between 13 an 16 inches and they sure had some tug to them.

 Water clarity is far from perfect with maybe 12 inches or so of visibility but the fish were definitely willing eaters. We saw lots of different Mayflies hatching from the time we got to the water til about 6:15pm. We were catching fish on everything we were throwing, so it didn’t seem that the fish were keying in on anything particular. We did a little better when we had a True Blood on the front end, I think this was due to lack of visibility. The new Airflow line was very nice and fished very well, it seemed a little stiffer than what I am used to. The selling point for the Airflow line is that they do not stretch, from what I could tell that was accurate and it floated very well.

 The river is far from perfect right now but definitely worth fishing. Winston was thrilled to get back on the water and the rest of us enjoyed it as well.   The sky gave us an incredible rainbow and Cat said she got the perfect picture to prove I am a pot of Gold.   As always Connell, Cat, Brandon, Winston and The Drift Fly shop want to thank you for reading….














No comments:

Post a Comment