Sunday, December 1, 2013

Bobcat Sighting!!!


  Hello all and thanks for reading. After a less than stellar two days of my football teams taking it in the shorts on Friday and Saturday, I couldn’t take the chance of sitting home in front of the tube to see my Broncos get dismantled as well. In hindsight, you might think it was a poor choice but the last laugh was with me. I got to the water today around eleven was surprised to see so few people on the water. I was stopped by Gretchen and another DOW worker today and was checked for my license. I know I complain quite a bit about our government but I wanted to give a heartfelt Thank you for protecting our river. Now on to the fishing, didn’t see many bugs today and the fishing was spotty at best. Once again the fish didn’t seem to be keying in on any one bug but just nibbling every now and again. After a few hours I looked up in the tree across from me and I saw a few squirrels chasing each other around, they had Winstons’ complete attention. I was changing flies and I noticed Winston starting to growl, I figured it was just the squirrels but he continued to growl louder. I looked up and just across the river I saw a Bobcat hop down from the tree and stare at me. I slowly grabbed my camera and right as I turned it on, the bobcat jumped behind some brush. He came out on the other side and I was able to film him just a little. What a sight, I knew they were out there but that was the first one I have actually seen. I was so thrilled after that that I started working my way back down river. I stoped at the A-hole and tried a few drifts in there when I got my best fish of the day, at first I thought maybe I had hooked a beaver because I couldn’t turn him at all. It took a little while but I finally worked him into a spot that I could land him. Huge shoulders and just a hair over 22 inches, even Winston was proud of his pops today.  I felt no need to make another cast and headed back to the car. I missed most of the Broncos victory today but felt like I missed NOTHING….

  As always, thanks for reading. Fishing was as technical as I have seen since last spring, but good drifts produced its share of takes. Connell, Winston, Cat, and The Drift Fly Shop…..








2 comments:

  1. More like a big brown sighting! Oh yea, this is Mike from Santa Fe. Think about it. Another awesome read. We saw one about a month ago near the dam, cool thing to see. Catcha later at the shop sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,I think it was so special because it was the first one I have actually seen. We ran across one in a tree, near the hatchery outlet but I couldn't actually see him. The brown was definitely icing on the cake yesterday.

    ReplyDelete