Thursday, December 19, 2013

FWIW.....


 Hello all and thanks again for checking in. As most of our readers know I consider myself cursed by being a football fan. It seems several times every year I tell myself I will never watch another game because it’s so frustrating watching officials control the game. I usually last a day or so away and then back to my Husker sight and into the recruiting forums, the vicious cycle starts again. The recruiting forums are almost as addictive as the games themselves. I read all the so called “experts” go on and on and in each post they add in FWIW(for what it’s worth). Like weather men, their predictions sometimes come true and sometimes don’t and when someone calls them on it they always fall back to the old FWIW, and it was just my opinion. Oh by the way, I was just reading about a possible new QB before I started writing this blog, the experts think he will be “N”.

  I have been wrestling with myself for a few days on to how to write this next river conditions post and I decided I would be like my recruiting experts and preface my river report by saying, FWIW. Every year at about this time the water temps begin to rapidly decrease and it seems to change everything about our river. November was a great time to hunt fish, cast to them and take their pic. Water temps stayed in the upper forties and the hatches were plentiful. The cold spell last week has dropped the water temps to between 40 and 41 coming out of the dam and variable as it moves through town. I saw one day last week that Moffat had dropped to 33 degrees. If you have been on the water over the last week you will notice the temp change in your feet.(FWIW). The last three trips to the water I have not seen any BWO’s and just a handful of midges. The feeding lanes that two weeks ago were full of feeding fish are beginning to look like the ghost towns of the old west. As the rest of the fisheries in the state began to shut down we are also begining to see anglers from around the state and even country flock to our little gem. I was shocked to see the amount of fishermen on the water yesterday. Now, I know the locals like to complain about the foreigners but the reality is they have every bit as much right to this water as we do. If you want solace, then work 90 hours a week, save every penny you make, and buy your own piece of water. I personally don’t want to work that hard. FWIW. Now the last thing is that with the lack of bug activity, God has allowed fish to slow their metabolisms down to a near comatose state. After several years of thinking our fish were all gone during this time of year, I have finally come to the realization that they are just hiding for a while.

  Now onto my future fishing report, FWIW. Our river should continue to be crowded over the next few months and fishing should be difficult but definitely possible. Guide trips out yesterday had variable degrees of success, moment of splendor and then back to hearing crickets. Bugs will be getting really small and the fish should be holding in deeper runs, and for very short periods they will move into feeding lanes. It is the time of the year to be patient, take a look around and actually look at the beautiful place we fish, and when the opportunity arises, catch your fish. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, and the Drift Fly Shop would like to thank you for reading…FWIW

  A few pics from yesterday..



 

No comments:

Post a Comment