Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Final Season....


  Hello all and thanks for checking in to the greatest flyfishing blog I have written today. A few months back I had written a blog about my “fall from grace” addiction to the Breaking Bad series on Netflix. I had watched what I thought was the whole series with Hank figuring it out while sitting on the toilet. At the time, it seemed like an incredible ending for an incredible series, but shortly after, I began to feel the need to know more. Three or four weeks had gone by and one evening my son Brandon called me  and frantically started telling me that there was more to the series and that it would be posted to Netflix later in February. It was like telling a junkie that he would need to wait a week for his next fix. My brother-in-law called me the next day and told me that he couldn’t believe that I had watched the whole series in a week and a half and that it took him and my sister a month to watch it. Then he dropped the bomb, telling me that they had purchased it from Amazon and that I was more than welcome to watch it on their account. I raced home that afternoon and tried to get it to work on my 55 inch Samsung but some sort of setting prevented me from watching…Total sad face.. The next day I began trying to find a different way to watch it, I couldn’t wait the three weeks. I was playing on my 15inch computer screen and was able to get it to work. The final half of the season lasted a night and a half with my face plastered up next to my tiny screen. It wasn’t the incredible high from the 55 but it was just enough of a fix. Last Thursday I saw the final episode ended up on Netflix and Cat, Brandon and I watched in two evenings, 55inches of high def and a surround system felt like heaven opening up and pouring on our laps…Ahhhhhhhhhhh….

  As most of our reader know, January and early February has always been a time for me to rest my aging joints and get ready for the fish to come alive. This February seemed to drag on forever. I would go out and just look for fish but they just seemed to be hung over from their winter slumber. Finally last Sunday on a guide trip, we spotted a good number of very nice fish moving into staging areas and a few fish actually moving into feeding lanes. The water temps over the last week had begun to move into the 44 and 45 degree range during the day and the fish really began to respond. I had been fiending for this moment since Christmas, for when I can see the fish move into feeding lanes, my heart starts to thump in my chest, my senses begin to sharpen and my hands begin to sweat. My brain moves into attack mode and I lose consciousness of anything else going around me. A quick focus, an accurate cast and the warmth begins shooting through veins as I watch the fish grab my flies…Ahhhhhhhhh…..

 The last week felt like watching a few Breaking episodes on the 15 and then watching a few on the Samsung. It seems that most of the day the fish are a little slow to move and then for an hour or two they come alive. The quick fix and then the Ahhhhhhh. Unfortunately, I know that the series is completely over, but the feeding frenzy of the fish is just beginning.

  I need to make a quick apology to some of our newer readers. Cat had a customer in the shop over the weekend that was upset because he had spent a lot of time on the internet trying to research the J-bomb fly. The fly was one that I had come with last year and I have had really good success with it off and on over the last year. I had written a few blog posts on it and didn’t really think about the people that began reading since the original posts. The name and a little about the flies can be found in these two links, make sure they are read in order.
Part 1.




The fly has been so productive for me that I haven’t wanted to sell them in mass in order to protect my exclusivity. I have heard that a prior client is now teaching how to tie one of my older patterns but that he has changed the name. I’m not sure if I am flattered or my feelings are hurt but I am a little nervous about putting the pattern on the internet. Friday the 7th will be open tying at the shop from 6 to 8p.m. and anyone interest can learn the bug there. As with all my patterns, they are very simple to tie. If you are not able to make the Friday night open tying the you can pm me on Facebook and I can get you a pic and instructions. If you are not a tier, get with Alex and he should be able to work a deal with you to get you some. As always thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, Winston, Jesse Pinkman, and The Drift Fly Shop….

   A few from Thursday;



 Ran into Jeremy today and he was on fire, every time I looked up he was fighting another fish. You da man today Jeremy. Here are a few from me today.




  See ya......



No comments:

Post a Comment