Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!


  Hey all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures blog. I wanted to start by wishing all of our readers an incredibly happy Thanksgiving. In the spirit of the holiday I wanted to take this opportunity to talk about a few of the things I am truly grateful for this year.

  Now the first thing I want to talk about might really surprise a few of you, but before we go any further I can assure you that I will never ever, EVER drink the Koolade. I know most of our readers think that I am an anarchist, but in truth that is not the case at all. I just don’t think the Gov. is the solution to most of our problems. Now, with that being said I wanted to talk about an incident that I had on the river the other day. I was guiding a father-daughter pair and Travis was helping on that trip. I was with the daughter fishing in the Special Regs section when I looked up and saw what I thought were three bangers carrying a pig on a stringer. First of all my heart sank a little and then I yelled up, “if they knew this was a C & R section”(and yes I know that technically it was not. In that section anything over 16 has to be released, but it was also clear that their fish was over the limit). They began to laugh out loud and mock me so being the tuff guy that I am, I quickly analyzed the situation and determined that since I was with clients( it had nothing to do with their size or number, yeah right), that instead of confronting them again personally, I had Travis make the call to the game warden. I said it plenty loud to make sure the bangers heard the threat. The guys walked off and began mocking Travis and the father as they were walking by and showing off their illegal prize. I was definitely annoyed, but a phone call a few moments later made my day. The main DOW officer in our area, not sure if I can use her name, met the bangers in the parking lot. Unfortunately the bangers must have sensed something because they had tossed the pig before the officer caught them. No tickets were issued, but I can’t imagine those clowns making their way back to the special regs section. So here, thank you Gretche_ (I won’t use her full name) for protecting our river!!! I know you have a million tasks to do every day,, but truly thank you! Now for the rest of our readers, I know different times over the years I have been annoyed when bothered by DOW officers thinking “do I look like someone doing something illegal?”, but here is what I would ask of our readers. Next time you run into a DOW officer on our river or really anywhere, show them your license and then thank them for protecting our river.

  Now the next thing I am truly grateful for. Over the years I believe that Cat and I have been so truly blessed to have such incredible shop patrons and guide clients. Cat and I would never have had the opportunities that we have if it wasn’t for you, and yes I absolutely truly mean that!! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

 Now the last thing I am so truly thankful for is Thanksgiving is Cat and My ten year anniversary. I still have to pinch myself on a regular basis just to make sure this is not some sort of fantasy long lasting dream. Thank you always my love!! I don’t think I will write any more about this because I don’t think I am much of a romance writer.

  Now the part some of you have actually been waiting for, the fishing report. I know the last few blogs gave glowing reports of our river with an incredible outlook for our December. What I have noticed over the last week has me not so sure what December fishing will be like. I noticed that in the last ten days the water temp has dropped a full 6 degrees. Now I know that doesn’t sound like a lot but I think the extreme global cooling we had last week has slowed the fish down just a little. The super aggressive takes of a week and a half ago are just a little more subdued. Mid day is still seeing some great BWO hatches, but I have not been seeing the fish just go stupid hungry. Moments have been very good and other moments take a little work. My hope is that the warm weather forecasted over the next week stabilizes the temps a little and puts the fish back in the stupid mode.

 The shop has sent out several trips over the last week and all have been productive. I keep trying to get Cat and Cody to take more pics but they just won’t listen so the pics are just from the couple that I took. The smiles on the faces make it all worthwhile, thanks again and have an incredible Thanksgiving. Connell, Cat, Winston, Tom turkey, and The Drift fly Shop want to thank you for reading….





 

1 comment:

  1. Connell, don't bet that these three bangers won't be back! Growing up on the lower east side of Pueblo taught me always to expect the unexpected. Unless you have a lot of back up (or are packing) next time I would discreetly just call the DOW and let them take care of it. Just my opinion.

    Jim Ashmore

    ReplyDelete