Sunday, November 2, 2014

Naturals....


Hey all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. As most of our readers know I have this totally nearly uncontrollable” love hate” relationship with football. When my teams win, I may be one of the friendliest people on the face of the earth. Last year’s Super Bowl put me in a two week foul mood. I keep telling myself I need to either quit watching all together or find better teams to root for. I long for the mid-nineties when my Huskers and Broncos beat the tar out of everyone. Well after looking at the Bronco schedule I knew that today would be a great day to go fishing. Luckily for me I picked up a guide trip instead. Now with our less than perfect conditions of late and knowing that today’s trip was with fairly new guys I was a little nervous.

  We got to the water at around 10:30 and after just a few casts I realized that I was with a couple of naturals. Drifts were great and casting was pretty solid. I didn’t feel like fishing was easy today but these guys hooked fish all day. I had asked both of them if they had ever had to fight a fish before and they nodded and said “kind of”, and I knew right then that they were in for a treat. First fish landed was a feisty 14 incher and the next several were 16 to 18 and one was just a smidge over 18 but it had a gut that even Santa would be proud of. One of the highlights of the day was before we fished one run we discussed what the fish would do when he hooked it. I told him that as soon as that fish runs to get the rod tip up and the line over the rocks and let the fish run. The indicator rocketed to the side and guess what happened, yep; my flies are now part of the rock. The best part though was when we came back up stream he asked for another shot and after a few casts I looked over and saw him fighting the fish. He bellowed out “ I got him over the rock this time. Woohoo”!!! Thanks guys for protecting me from my football obsession and being so enjoyable on the river.

  Like I said earlier, I don’t think fishing is easy right now but definitely doable. Fish were on the Winston Caddis and peach egg early and moved to a Bling midge late in the day. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Mark & Tom and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……








No comments:

Post a Comment