Thursday, December 11, 2014

Just What Was Needed.....


  Hey all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. Over the years I can’t really even guess to the amount of Facebook posts about “work” getting in the way of fishing. Even though I do work quite a bit, between having a flexible schedule and the perfect wife, finding the time to fish has never really been much of a problem. The last few weeks I have come to learn the frustration from the lack of fishing. I have even been missing out on a lot of the typical vicarious fishing because I haven’t even had my usual hang out time in the shop.

 Cat and I had hoped to get out today but even plans to get to the river were made around fingers crossed. Even the drive to the river had me praying that my phone would stay silent. Our first attempted stop at the river was way too crowded but the second was not bad and in reality, Winston and I were more interested in standing in a river rather than catching a ton of fish. We walked into the river and right away I saw one of my favorite runs unoccupied. As I began my speedwalking my eyes bounced all around in fear that someone would jump out of the trees and beat me to the run. My heart picked up a beat when I realized that NOONE would beat me to that run. I maneuvered into place and scouted the run. A half a dozen shadows moving back and forth reminded me how awesome flyfishing can be. I finished setting up my rig and looked at the Sage One in my hand. Could I be in a better place, I thank not. First cast was nothing but the second was money. The head shake and tailwalk nearly made me cry. As the fish hit the water I felt the hook come flying back at me and I didn’t really care a bit. The stress from work was gone. I gazed back at the run and picked out another shadow to harass. A couple casts and heaven again, I could tell right away that it was a very nice fish with his head thrashing back and forth. After getting through the first ten seconds or so Winston started getting excited as well , he had a grin on his face that said” yep, that’s my dad and you get in his net”. The fish got below me and the saddest thing happened. A big brown came up sideways and I turned off the Gopro. He must have slipped I thought and so I gave him a little extra tug in order not to injure him. The extra pressure flipped him over and it was back in the mouth, he had just rolled on it. It was the fish of the day and he was a joy. We hooked and landed several more and Cat switched to streamers and landed a smallie. As the day went on it seemed as if the dinks got hungrier.

 Late in the day I found a few more fish that sparked my obsession. I worked on a few fish for half an hour. I hooked one but the others were just too smart. Cat asked if she could take a shot and I said what the heck. She moved in and got a little stealthy. She thought for a second and decided to go at it just a little different. I’m not giving away her secret but she hooked my afternoon nemesis. My perfect wife would never say anything out loud but I’m sure deep down she was grinningly saying “mess with the bull”.

  As the day finished I was thinking about how awesome this day was. We didn’t catch millions of fish but the ones we hooked were incredible. I also got to thinking about the rods I have been fishing this fall and early winter.  I could not be any more excited and wanted to give a huge thanks to Sage. The Accell and the One have been a joy. I can only hope that Sage keeps these lines in production so I don’t have to search for a new rod.  Fish today were on FOD’s, Ninjas, and Bling midges. The clear water seems to have shut off a little of the attractor patterns, fishing really slowed every time I added an egg or a worm. With the clear low water even fluoro needs to get down to the 5 and 6x sizes. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, the 2$ meatball, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment