Saturday, January 3, 2015

Not A Poet ......


Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. As most of our reads know, I’m not much of a writer, and my trip to the water yesterday gave me the chance to work on another skill that I am equally as poor at. I know this might be a little terrifying for a few of you but fishing was so intense yesterday that I actually had time write a poem in my head.

 As Santa makes his way back to the Pole, I long for the days when Big Red played in a real bowl.

 Another season that felt like a waste, On to something real in a serious haste.

To the river I go to erase the pain of the game, for the love of the fish and not the fortune and fame.

Lucky for me I have an incredible wife, we fish when we want with no bitterness or strife.

The water is cold and the fish move real slow, just like my Huskers that for now just b***.

It takes patience and precision to land these big winter fish,

Not like the stockers that need merely nothing but a wish.

If you land a pig now, you need to take a big bow, you have done something special and that deserves a big wow.

If you’re having a rough time and the river makes you want to scream, just count your blessings that the Huskers are not your team. Enjoy.

 

 

 Now on to the fishing. As most of our readers have been able to figure out by now, this is NOT my favorite time of the year to fish. Fish can absolutely be taken, it’s just not my favorite. Fishing yesterday was very spotty. We would go half an hour without a take and then the fish would nibble for ten minutes. Takes right now are super subtle so make sure you lightly set every time the indicator even slows down. My world famous brother-in-law Jimbo was in town fishing with me yesterday. The first hour he hooked several and got a few dinks to the hand but then the day really slowed. He is fishing on his own today so I’m expecting to hear that he has taken everything I have taught him over the years, put it into practice and landed a 25 inch pig that no one was around to confirm with a pic.jkjk Love ya Jim. Cody had a trip out yesterday and found conditions very similar to what we saw. They stayed late and persistence paid off, just before dark they landed an Arkansas 18in fatty. Congrats Ryan and Caleb, now you are hooked and that fish was no easy task.

 A little side note, The Drift will be hosting a booth at the Sportsmans expo in Denver this year. The dates are the 15-18th. Alex is supposed to have discounted tickets in the shop next week, call the shop for details. Our schedule as of now has Cat and I at the show on Thursday, Travis on Saturday and Sunday, and Alex and Cody there the whole time. If you have not met us, we would love to meet you at the show, just please have all your newly written poety directed at my lovely wife, oh and if Tony is reading, I’m not a hugger. Hope to see you there.

I hope that I have not frightened too many would be anglers away from out incredible winter fishery. I know that Alex absolutely loves this time of year and thinks that it can really show off the expertise of the angler. I don’t necessarily agree but nothing quite beats a day on the water, especially if the alternative is watching my Huskers. Take it all in, the Bald Eagles, the sound of the river, the snow and maybe even write yourself a poem. Flies du’jour have been the Bling, J-bomb, Ninja, and actually had a few take the true blood. If you really want to check your skill set, watch for the afternoon midge hatch and see if you can trick one of the beauties sipping in the tailouts on a dry, but bring you’re “A” game.

On a happy note Winston made his first trip back on the water. He feels great and seems to have healed completely from the pinched nerve in his back…… Though he is sad that the vet put him on a diet, so he requests any treats brought to him on the water be snuck in so Daddy and Mommy can’t see.

As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Robert Frost, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading.

 

1 comment: