Saturday, May 21, 2016

Kicking It At Spinney (With Video)

          Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. On my way to Spinney this morning, my mind was beginning to write today’s blog and about how today was day three of retirement. Driving back to P-town the whole theme changed. Last spring while fishing the different mid-level lakes of Colorado, I began to notice what I thought was a minor problem with Cat’s setup. I tried getting her to fish my Accel, but she continually told me that hers was just fine. Finally, I bought her my exact same set up and begged her to try it out. She did and our later trips to Spinney last summer were just good enough for her to begin to turn from the dark side to the light. Soon after, while fishing my “One”, Cat landed her best fish here on the Ark and there was no turning back. In my mind, now that we were now firmly on the same team, we would stand shoulder to shoulder in the Sage corner and figured we would spend the rest of our fishing days in blissful Strawberry fields, and there would never be even a hint of unrest again. It was unbelievable for a while, shoulder to shoulder, proudly waving our “Ones” as if our bond could never even field a crack. And then today happened, even though we are no longer competitive and we fish as one, Cat, with no regards to my third day of retirement fishing party, smoked me like a Christmas turkey.
          The day started like normal, while kicking out on Spinney, amongst many bored looking anglers, I hooked and wrestled a two foot pike to the net. My first pike that is, and they are slimy and spooky looking. I continued to move out and Cat found her groove. After about an hour and only one take, I kicked back towards Cat and she asked if I was killing it as well. There was plenty of time and no need for false exaggerations, so I sheepishly said no. We spent the next five hours within about thirty feet of each other and nearly every time I looked up, she was fighting another fish to the net. In most circumstances, I had a great day, when my wife smokes me about 4 to 1, I know I should gripe, but it was an absolutely glorious day.  I’m not sure what the deal was with the Northerns today, we had never landed one before and we got a total of 5 to the net today, Cat has a few wounds as proof of hers.
          It looks like the river here in P-town dropped a little today, but my own personal guess is that it will be short lived. The Arkansas drainage snowpack is currently sitting at 150% of normal and I think we are looking at another extended runoff. Mid-level and high-mountain lakes are going to be the drug over the next 6 to 10 weeks or so. We at the Drift know how intimidating a new way of fly fishing can be so we will be extending our lake special through June. If any customer purchases a Sage Accel or a Fishcat/Outcast pontoon boat, they will get a free sit down with Cat or I and we will go over strategies, rigging, fly choice, safety, and hopefully answer any questions to make your trip to the lakes and enjoyable one. I used to think that I was the one you should ask for but after today…..As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, The Accel, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….








No comments:

Post a Comment